Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Letter Off Dead - From Blog to Book to Blog to Book

Do you have time for a long, rollicking story? Back in September of 2009, I began publishing a book blog. It was called Letter Off Dead and was a correspondence between a 7th grade boy and his dead father. Trevor writes to his dad. Dad, who is dead, writes back. They both have issues, both need each others help.

It was good. In fact, good enough to get a contract from Tricycle Press, an imprint of Random House Kids. Unfortunately, soon after that, RH decided to shut down that imprint. I got to keep my advance, which was nice, but the book deal stopped dead.

But from the ashes, etc.

My Tricycle editor, the esteemed Abigail Samoun, decided to become an agent. Now, as part of Red Fox Literary, she represents me (and a number of really talented illustrators and authors). And right now, even as you read these very words (!), she is shopping Letter Off Dead around again.

I still really like this story. If you'd like a messy, unedited sneak peak into what it was all about, you can go check it out at the blog, which, as of this writing, is still live.

No comments: